Today I am going to introduce you all to the ‘ka meethas’. The two Hyderbad ka meethas are ‘Double ka meetha’ and ‘Qurbani ka meetha’. These dishes are as rich as the heritage of Hyderabad and I can’t think of any Hyderabadi who had never tasted these.
In today’s post I will show you all how to make ‘Double ka meetha’ and I shall be posting ‘Qurbani ka meetha’ as one of my future posts. You can also call it ‘Bread pudding’ or ‘Bread halwa’. This is an extremely simple yet absolutely tasty. This is one of the favorite party food in my family.
This is my mom’s recipe.
Bread Slices: 4
Sugar: 3/4 cup
Milk: 2 cups
Butter or Ghee: Depending on how you prefer to fry your bread
Roasted Cashews: 2 tbsps
Roasted Raisins: 2 tbsps
Cardamom powder: 1/4 tsp
- Fry slices of bread in butter or ghee. You deep fry the bread but if you don’t want all the fat to get into your system you can just baste a little butter on each bread slice a fry on a flat pan.
- Fry all the slices of bread and keep them aside.
Boil milk in a non stick pan
- Add sugar to the boiling milk. If you prefer, you can add food color at this step.
- After the sugar is all dissolved, drop your slices of bread and start mixing well.
- The mixture should then look like porridge. You don’t have to make it super smooth, the lumps of bread gives the dish a better texture and taste.
- Make sure you don’t burn the mix, so keep stirring and cook on a low flame for 5 mins.
- Add toasted nuts, cardamom powder and turn off the heat.
Serve it hot or cold. Enjoy!!!
You can toast the bread in a toaster and then lightly fry it. This process reduces the frying time and also the amount of butter.