Simple and mild flavored rice, like coconut rice, jeera rice, bagara rice¬†or saffron rice, compliments a spicy curry be it a vegetarian or non-vegetarian gravy very well.
J doesn’t like coconut very much, so I make this using coconut milk. It gives rice a mild coconut flavor and tastes absolutely delicious. Depending on how you like it, you can also add shredded coconut to this, I will be posting that version later.
So coming to the recipe.
What you need :
Raw rice : 2 cups
Coconut milk : 1.5 cups
Water : 1.5 cups
Whole Garam Masala : Cloves-5, Cinnamon-2 inch stick, Star Anise -1, Mace – 1, Cardamom-5, Shah jeera-1 tsp, Marathi moggu-2
Onion : 1, sliced thin
Green chillies : 2 or 3,depending on your taste, split lengthwise,
Ginger paste : 1 tsp
Garlic paste : 1 tso
Mint leaves : a few
Coriander leaves : a handful, chopped
Cashew nuts : 1/2 cup
Salt : to taste
Oil : 2 or 3 Tbsp
To Extract Coconut Milk :
Take about 1 cup of fresh coconut pieces and adding 1 cup of water grind to fine paste in a food processor. Cover a bowl with a muslin cloth. Now pour the ground coconut mixture in this cloth, squeeze to extract all the milk. You can discard the coconut pulp.
Coconut Rice :
- Wash and soak rice in 3 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil or ghee in a deep bottomed pan.
- Add in the whole garam masala, and fry till fragrant.
- Now add in mint and coriander. Fry for a minute.
- Add onion slices, green chillies. Fry till onions turn golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste, and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add cashews and fry till light brown.
- Pour in coconut milk and water.
- Add salt to taste.
- Bring the water to a boil and add rice.
- Cook till done.
- Add a dollop of ghee before mixing and serve hot with a gravy.
Mom’s Notes :
You can even make a simpler version with cooked rice.
Just add in mustard seeds, chana dal, dry red chillies, curry leaves to oil, and fry for few minutes. Add shredded coconut nut, fry till golden(not dark brown). Add in salt and cooked rice. Toss well.