I have posted many cake recipes on this space like chocolate cake, pineapple gateau, and even cheesecake. Till my good friend S reminded me, I have not observed that I did not post a basic sponge cake till now.
Though the brownies I made were enjoyed by both my lil one and J, I could not help but notice the faint expression “I would have enjoyed vanilla cake even more” on J’s face.
So to fulfill his wish I baked this simple and basic vanilla sponge cake. This can be made with both eggless and with eggs, but for now I am posting the one with eggs.
What you need :
Flour : 200 gms
Baking Powder : 1 Tbsp
Butter : 200 gms , at room temperature
Sugar : 200 gms
Eggs : 4, at room temperature
Vanilla extract : 1 tsp
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease and line an 8 inch or 9 inch round baking tray with a butter paper. Grease the butter paper too, and keep the pan aside.
- Separate eggs when still cold and cover both the bowls with yolks and whites, with a cling wrap to avoid forming a film on the top.
- Sieve flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
- Take butter in a bowl and beat till smooth.
- Add in sugar and beat well again.
- Now add the egg yolks, one yolk at a time, beating for one full minute after each addition.
- Add in vanilla extract and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites till it forms stiff peaks.
- Add in the egg white mixture into the butter and yolk mixture slowly and fold in with a wooden spoon till incorporated.
- Now slowly add the flour mixture in 2 batches, and fold in well. Do not mix vigorously.
- Pour this batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with the back of the spoon or a spatula.
- Place in the center of oven and bake for 30 – 40 mins.(baking time also depends on the size of the pan using. Batter in 8 inch pan takes more time to bake than batter in 9 inch pan)
- Bake till the toothpick or a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
If the cake startes to brown on the top and is not done yet, cover with a aluminium foil and continue to bake.
You can store this cake till 1 week.
Enjoy the cake as it is or you can decorate for a special occasion with a butter frosting.