Beet Root:I love this veggie because of the beautiful purple color it gives when added to any curry. Dietitians say that we need to eat rainbow of food everyday; i.e, include veggies or fruits from all the color bands like,
Red(Strawberries, Red Bell Pepper, Water Melon, Cherries etc),
Orange and Yellow(Apricots, Oranges, Papaya, Peach, Pumpkin etc),
Greens(Broccoli, Lettuce, Kiwi, Spinach etc) and
Blues and Purple(Blackberries, Black currants, Red cabbage and Beetroots).
The more of these colorful foods that you can fit into your daily diet, the better.
Coming to the Recipe…
Beet Roots: 2 medium
Green Chillies: 5 to 6, adjust acc. to your taste
Curry leaves: 10 to 15
Tamarind: size of small sized lemon
Coriander leaves: a handful
Salt: to taste
Oil: 2 tbsp
How I did it:
- Chop beetroot and green chillies.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add curry leaves, beetroot and green chillies.
- Fry on medium till done. Takes about 10 min.
- After switching off the gas, add chopped coriander, mix well and keep aside to cool.
- Soak tamarind in hot water, to make it soft.
- Now grind the cooled mixture, to a coarse paste, along with tamarind and salt without adding any water.
- This can be served with plain hot steamed rice, or with any breakfast like idly and dosa.
The Romans considered beetroot an aphrodisiac (it’s rich in the mineral boron which is important in the production of human sex hormones). The belief persists to this day that if a man and a woman eat from the same beetroot, they will fall in love.
Beetroot has a higher sugar content than most vegetables. It is rich in vitamin C, fibre, potassium, magnesium, manganese, and folic acid. The leafy tops are an excellent source of beta-carotene, iron and calcium.
Beetroot contains betaine, a substance that relaxes the mind and is used to treat depression. It also contains trytophan (also found in chocolate!) which contributes to a sense of well being.
Sign of Friendship:
Pallavi of All Things Yummy has passed me on the “Blogging Friends Forever” award.Thank You Pallavi for this sweet gesture…..
I would like to pass on this award to every food blogger who visits me, and leave encouraging comments in my blog, which is like great inspiration for me. Thank You all!!!
Have a wonderful day!