I love summer, mainly because of the warm sun… because of the barbeque parties we can have… for the lazy afternoons we can spend lake sides…. and most importantly because of the exotic fruits we get to eat… Mangoes, Strawberries…. and ofcourse Cherries …. yummm.. I just love these red, juicy fruits…
Last weekend I have been to the farmers market and could’nt resist myself in buying these..
The best recipe I can suggest with cherries is….. take them in a big bowl… switch on your favourite movie and just relish them as they are 🙂
But J wanted something different. I had this recipe bookmarked long back and wanted to surprise him.
Recipe Source : Joy Of Baking
Fresh Cherries: 500 gms, pitted and halved
All Purpose Flour(Maida) : 210 gms
Baking Powder : 1 1/2 tsp
Salt : 1/4 tsp
Eggs : 2, at room temperature
Sugar : 150 gms
Butter : 110 gms, soft, at room temperature
Milk : 80 ml
Vanilla Essence : 1 tsp
How I did it:
- Pre heat oven at 200 degrees C.
- Butter and Flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- Separate around 15- 20 cherries (to be placed on top of the cake).
- In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat together butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Then add eggs one by one and beat till pale yellow.
- Add the milk and vanilla essence and beat till incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and with the help of a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix well.
- Gently fold in the cherries (not the 15 cherries which were separated).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth on top with the help of the spatula.
- Bake for 15 mins. Remove the pan and quickly arrange the cherries on top, with cut side down.
- Put back the cake in the oven, and bake till done, for about 30 to 40 mins. Or till toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
And the verdict:
Wow… just heavenly… the sweetness from the cherries enhanced the taste of the cake.. and with each bite I could feel the yumm taste of the juicy cherries…