When talking about Andhra Cuisine, you will surely come across the curry Gutti Vankaya or Stuffed Brinjals. It is usually made with tender, short and round type of purple brinjals.
It is made with a variety of stuffings and the taste differs from one region to an other. The recipe I am posting is my mom’s recipe and our favourite.
Brinjals: 1/2 kg
Onions: 2 medium size
Ginger-Garlic : 1tbsp
Tamarind paste : 2 tbsp / or tamarind size of lemon
Peanuts: 1/2 cup
Nuvvulu / Sesame Seeds : 1/4 cup
Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
Salt : to taste
Red chilli pwd : 1 tbsp, or acc. to your taste
Haldi / Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
How I did it:
- Chop onions, and fry in a tsp of oil.
- Roast peanuts and sesame seeds, with out any oil.
- Grind together, all the ingredients (onions, peanuts, sesame seeds, ginger garlic paste, tamarind paste, salt, turmeric, red chilly pwd, garam masala), to a fine paste.
- Wash brinjals and pat dry. Make 4 slits on each brinjal, on the opposite side of the stem, taking care not to cut it completely.
- Fill in the paste in all brinjals. This step requires some patience, separate the slits of the brinjal carefully and stuff the masala taking care not to break the brinjal.
- Add oil in a pan , and add all the brinjals, once the brinjals are 3/4th done, add some water to the remaining paste and add it to the brinjals.
- Cover and simmer for few mins, till it comes to a boil, and the brinjals are done.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.