I have a heck of time feeding my lil one. He doesn’t like to have anything, greens, veggies… meat.. oh stop… did you say meat… that is one thing which can make him eat.
Its not just him, my brothers, my hubby are all the same. Some time I tease them saying, they love to eat only that which can walk, swim, crawl or fly… hmmm what can I say… !!!
While most of the world is in the process of turning Vegan… I still have some hardcore carnivores at home !!
Chicken is one ingredient with which we can produce a lot of variety dishes. Roasted Chicken in particular is like painting on white paper, depending on your taste, you can season it with herbs, with garlic, with lemon, for more Indian – with garam masala or just with salt and pepper.
Add some veggies when roasting, or roast it just plain and serve it with a gravy or mashed potatoes, or you can serve it like my boys like with Sambar Rice/Bisi bele bath.
What you need :
Whole chicken : 1, with skin, cleaned and patted dry
Fresh herbs : around 1/2 cup, chopped and packed tightly ( I used Rosemary, Sage Thyme, Coriander and some Mint)
Salt : to taste
Pepper : to taste
Lemon juice : 2 Tbsp
Oil : 2 – 3 Tbsp
Optional – For an indian twist :
Kitchen king : 1 Tbsp
Red Chili powder : 1 tsp
(You can even add garam masala or ginger garlic if you like, but I thought these flavors will overpower the flavors from the herbs)
To stuff inside the chicken :
Whole Lemon : 1/2
Garlic : a few cloves
Rosemary : 1 small twig
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C, while we prepare the chicken.
- Trim any excess fat and skin from the chicken and wash under running water. Pat it dry with a kitchen towel.
- Pick the herbs from their stems and chop them fine.
- Take them in a small bowl, and add in salt, pepper, lemon juice and oil (and also Kitchen king and red chili powder if using). Mix well.
- Fill the cavity of the bird with lemon, garlic and rosemary.(you will not be eating them, they are just for giving flavor)
- Now rub the chicken with the herb mixture. Loosen the skin from the breast and also stuff some mixture between skin and the breast.
- Rub it well on all sides.
- Tie up the legs with a kitchen twine.
- Put the chicken in the baking tray, and put it in the oven.
- Roast the chicken for about one to one and half hour. baste the chicken with its juices in between to keep the flesh moist and avoid drying.
- Once done, let the roasted bird rest for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the stuffing from the cavity of the bird. Discard them.
- Carve the chicken into breast, thigh and leg pieces.
- Serve them as you wish, as side for rice, with potatoes or veggies. Enjoy!
Mom’s Notes :
If you want roasted veggies along with the chicken, add in the chopped veggies like carrots, potatoes, capsicum and onion for the last 30 – 40 minutes of roasting, so that they don’t get over cooked or burnt.
Cover with an aluminium foil, if you think the bird is getting burnt or turning dark brown too soon.