I love paneer in any dish. Paneer… the word itself reminds me of all the mouthwatering exotic dishes like Palak Paneer, Paneer Butter Masala, Paneer Burji, Paneer Jalfrizi and finally but not the least Kadai Paneer…
Today I tried to make paneer at home, and was surprised to see that it is very easy and hassel free process… I was excited at the success of my first experiment with homemade paneer…
- Bring 1 and half liter of whole milk to boil, in a heavy bottomed pan, stirring occasionally to ensure that it does not burn or form skin.
- When it just starts boiling, add 3 tbsp of fresh lime juice.
- The milk solids start curdling, and cheese separates from whey. If the two are not split completely add two more tablespoons of lime juice.
- Strain the mixture through a cheese cloth/ muslin cloth.
- Place the cheese cloth bundle on a flat surface. Fold the cloth into a nice round shape, and place a heavy object like a clean brick or a big flat bottomed pan filled with water. This will press down the cheese.
- Leave it for a hour or two, and then store the block of cheese in refrigerator. This remains fresh for about 1 week.
Paneer Cubes : 1 cup
Capisicum : 2, diced
Tomatoes : 2, de-seeded and diced
Tomato puree : 1 cup
Onions : 2, pureed
Ginger Garlic paste : 1 Tbsp
Turmeric : 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 1 tsp
Garam Masala : 1 tsp
Red Chili powder : 2 tsp, adjust acc to taste
Salt, to taste
Fresh cream : 2 Tbsp, optional
Kasoori Methi : 1 tsp
Oil : 3 Tbsp
Water : 100 ml
- Fry paneer cubes in little oil and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add onion paste. Fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for few more mins.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chili, cumin and coriander powder. Stir.
- Add in tomato puree and salt. Add water. Cover and bring to boil.
- Add capsicum and tomato, and cook covered for 5 mins.
- Add garam masala, cook till the veggies are done.
- Finally add paneer cubes and cook for 5 more mins.
- Add kasoori methi and fresh cream.
- Serve hot with Rotis or naans.
And the Verdict:
J ended up licking his fingers.. so need not say more 🙂
And Finally The Awards:
The Power of Schmooze Award is for bloggers who “effortlessly weave their way in and out of the blogosphere, leaving friendly trails and smiles, happily making new friends along the way. They don’t limit their visits to only the rich and successful, but spend some time to say hello to new blogs as well. They are the ones who engage others in meaningful conversations, refusing to let it end at a mere hello – all the while fostering a sense of closeness and friendship.“
I am very glad to say that, we (my blog and me) have been awarded, The Rocking Girl Blogger by Padma of Padma’s Kitchen and Archana of Love2EatHate2Cook and a Schoomze Award again by Archana and Laavanya of CookeryCorner !!!!!! Is’nt that nice… it has been only 3 months I have started blogging and receiving these awards, gave me a new inspiration!!!
Thank You Girls!!! And thank you all for all the comments, suggestions and motivation!!!! The main credit goes to my blog readers 🙂
Now I need to pass on these awards, its OK if you have been already nominated. This is a simple gesture to say that you are loved 🙂
Keep up the Spirit and Keep Going girls!!!