I came home today after work, with a determination to make some punjabi food.
When I take a peep in the fridge I find nothing but one radish, which I bought few days ago to add it in the Sambhar.
And the only dish which striked me was Radish Paratha!
White radish: 1 cup, grated
Ginger: 1 tsp grated
Green chillies: 2, finely chopped
Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Chappati flour: 2 cups
Garam Masala: 1 tsp
Salt, to taste
Oil, to fry
How I did it:
- Mix the grated radish, ginger, and chopped green chillies, corriander, garam masala and salt. Leave to marinate for sometime.
- Squeeze well to remove the juice, add this juice while making the chappati dough.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and let it rest for about 30 mins.
- Roll out small balls of the dough and fill with 1 tbsp of the filling.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Dust liberally with flour to avoid the stickiness.
- Pat off the excess flour and roast on a hot griddle.
- Fry one side for 1 minute and then turn over and brush with a little oil.
- When the second side is done and golden brown, flip and brush with a little oil on that side too.
- Serve hot with raita.
Carrot and Tomato Raita
Yogurt: 2 cups
Carrot: 1 small, grated
Tomato: 1, finely chopped
Salt, to taste
Chat Masala, 1 tsp
- Beat the yogurt to get smooth consistency.
- Add salt, grated carrot, and chopped Tomato.
- Mix well and sprinkle with chat masala on the top.
- Serve Chilled.
And the verdict:
The right recipe for people who run away from Radish. Though it gives a strong odour while peeling and marinating, it tastes and as well smells heaven when the paranthas are ready to eat!!