Peas Pulao is very easy to make, and is a very good alternative for steamed rice for rich gravy curries like Dum Aloo, Kadai Paneer, Butter Chicken, Chicken tikka etc…
It is a nice combination of peas and rice, with ghee and spice giving the flavour and adding the magic!!
What you need:
Rice, preferably Basmati : 2 cups, uncooked
Peas : 1 cup , frozen or fresh (I used frozen)
Green Chillies : 2, slit lengthwise
Ginger : 1 inch piece, finely chopped
ShahJeera : 1 tsp
Start Anise : 1
Cloves : 6
Cinnamon : 2 inch
MarathiMogga : 1 (also called as Kapok Buds or Bambox/ Shalmali or Semul)
Bay leaves : 2
Cardamom : 3 (make into coarse powder using mortar and pestle)
Black Cardamom : 1 (make into coarse powder using mortar and pestle)
Ghee/ Clarified Butter : 2 Tbsp
Salt : to taste
Water : 3 and half cups + 1/2 cup milk (I add water in 1(rice):2(water) ratio) See NOTES
- Wash rice multiple times till water runs clear. Soak rice in water, and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add all the spice from ShahJeera to Black Cardamom.
- Saute for few seconds till the spices sizzle and give a nice aroma.
- Add in green chillies and ginger. Saute for 2 more mins.
- Add peas, and cook for few mins till soft.
- Drain water from rice.
- In a rice cooker, add drained rice, water and milk.
- Add in the peas and spices.
- Add salt.
- Cook till done.
Mom’s Notes :
You can even add a small onion depending on your taste, if adding onion, slice it finely and add it to ghee along with green chillies.
Adding milk, retains the white color of the rice.
Adjust the water quantity according the rice you cook.If you rice takes 1(rice):1.5(water), then for 2 cups rice add 2.5 cups water and half cup milk.