When dear fellow bloggers Jai and Bee announced the new event “CLICK”, I was very much excited. But the theme, i.e., EGGS made me think!! How can one get a creative idea out of eggs? An egg is an egg, white and oval, in what ever angle you try to take a picture of it 🙂
When I asked a dear friend of mine for an idea, the answer was, “I can’t think of anything except boiling it and cutting into half and swallowing :)”
Hmmm… tough, it was for me, becoz I am not good with camera, and I was whiling away the time drooling over the lovely entries sent by my fellow bloggers here.
When I put on the thinking cap, many ideas flashed… and I decided to go with this – Pickled Deviled Eggs!!!
Hard Boiled Eggs: 4, peeled
Beetroot and Red Cabbage: 1 cup each, chopped
Water: 2 + 2 cups
Vinegar: 1/4 + 1/4 cup
Cloves: 5 + 5
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Salt: 2 + 2 tsp
For Deviled Eggs:
Mayonnaise: 2 Tbsp
Dijon Mustard: 1 Tbsp
Pepper ans Salt: to taste
How I did it:
- Boil the Beets and Cabbage in separate vessels, with all the ingredients.
- Simmer for 30 mins.
- Sieve them into 2 dry jars, and let them cool.
- Now add 2 eggs in each jar, cover and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- You get pink eggs (from beets) and blue eggs (from cabbage).
- For the Deviled eggs:
- Cut the eggs into half and scoop out the yolks.
- Mash the yolks with a fork or spoon, add Mayonnaise, Mustard, Pepper and salt and whisk till smooth.
- Fill the eggs with this and serve.
To Make Egg Mice:
- Take a peeled hard boiled egg and cut off a thin slice from one side.
- Cut out 2 “V” shapes for “Ears” from that slice.
- Make a cut on the top to insert the ears.
- Draw the eyes with tomato ketchup and the whiskers with mustard and pierce a clove at the back for the tail.
And the Verdict:
The platter looked so attractive and colorful. It is even ideal as a center piece on a dining table during dinners or parties.
Kids will with no doubt enjoy these!!